Wednesday, July 14, 2010

From Christopher...

In between cupcakes, my job here at SPL is to make improvements to our organization. Sometimes the efforts will succeed and sometimes they'll fail, but I'll keep pusing to make our company better. Here's a few of the efforts that I have going so that you know what I'm working on.

NEW PERFORMANCE REVIEW SYSTEM

This fiscal year (our fiscal year runs from July 1 - June 30, so Happy SPL New Year everyone!) we will switch our performance review period from your individual anniversary date to September 30 for the whole company. That means that during the month of September all of us will be receiving performance reviews and consideration for raises if the company can afford them. We will know that once our budgets are complete and we're in that process now.

THANKS TO PAUL JOHNSON IN LAFAYETTE ENVIRONMENTAL

VOA Mass Spec Supervisor Paul Johnson suggested that we review all employees in September regardless of when the last review was, and then pro-rate any raise given back to the date of last review. I thought about the suggestion with our HR team and other SPL employees and we have agreed to go with his suggestion. Thanks for the input Paul. Keep the suggestions coming.

We will also have a new performance evaluation form and system this September, and all managers and supervisors will be trained on the system next month.

SALES AND MARKETING PROCESSES

I am meeting in Houston this week with a group of SPL employees to look for ways to improve our corporate sales and marketing processes. This is an exciting project and I'm looking forward to working with employees like Debbi Romero in Lafayette as we strive to be even better in these areas. I'll be updating you here on We Are SPL on the changes we make as decisions are made.

NEW E-MAIL SYSTEM

Corporate IT Director Peter Hill is scoping out a new e-mail system for us that has many upgrades over our current system and once we know all the details I'll be giving them to you along with training tips and user options.

We have other exciting system changes brewing, but I'm not quite ready to give you all of the details yet. Let's just say that we're looking at ways to give you more access to more information on-line in ways that SPL never has before.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to hear about what I'm working on. Now it's your turn to share.

What are you working on in your departments? Send me some details at cbrown@spl-inc.com and I'll put it up in a guest post or just answer in the comments section of this blog.

Best, c.

1 comment: